Laboratory of Materials Analysis
The Metallographic Laboratory is a high tech laboratory for the preparation and evaluation of metallographic samples. At the same time, it is the Czech application laboratory of STRUERS GmbH, the world´s leading manufacturer of equipment for metallography.
The Laboratory is equipped with up-to-date equipment, including the latest high-precision cut-off machines (Discotom-100, Secotom-50), equipment for complete preparation of metallographic samples (CitoPress 20, system Tegramin-30, Lavamin) and hardness and microhardness testers for Vickers, Knoop, Brinell and Rockwell hardness testing (Duramin-100AC3 and Duramin-600Z3).
The Laboratory also has analytical scanning electron microscopes, X-ray diffractometers and state-of-the-art digital microscopes from Olympus, DSX510, DSX110 and LEXT OLS4100 with high resolution, 3D imaging and measuring of the samples observed, including complete image processing and roughness measurement.
COOPERATION WITH INDUSTRIES
The expert research team is highly qualified for performing material analyses and their evaluation by the latest methods and techniques. The Laboratory is an excellent research facility with long experience of finding solutions to production problems in industries in the field of materials engineering.
AMONG OTHER THINGS THE LABORATORY CAN OFFER
- Structural analysis of metallic and nonmetallic materials (macro microstructure, inclusion content, grain size, DAS, porosity, analysis of graphitic particles, etc.) according to valid standards.
- Testing of mechanical properties (hardness and microhardness Vickers, Knoop, Brinell, Rockwell testing, tensile tests, etc.).
- Analysis of chemical composition (Optical Emission Spectroscopy with Spark Excitation‚ analysis of solutions by lnductively Coupled Plasma Optical Emission Spectroscopy, EDS microanalysis).
- Testing of the quality of initial metallurgical material.
- Control of possible confusion of structural materials, including determination of chemical composition.
- Analysis of material properties after technological processes (heat treatment, forming, etc.).
- Control of the quality of welded joints.
- Analysis of the cause of the fracture of material during processing.
- Analysis of the cause of the components fracture during operation (wear).
- Complex analysis of layers and coatings (coatings prepared via thermal spraying, galvanic coatings).
- Development and optimization of metallographic preparation techniques for specific materials for industrial laboratories.
METALLOGRAPHIC WORKSHOPS AND TRAINING ACTIVITIES
One of the further specializations of the Laboratory is the holding of traditional metallographic workshops, which are specialized on further education of professional industrial community.
The workshops are focused on topics and problems that are most required by industrial partners, eg.:
- preparation of metallographic samples from various materials, including evaluation,
- control of heat treatment of metallic materials,
- quality control of welded joints,
- metallographic analysis and measurement methods for films and coatings,
- organization of thematic workshops focused on further areas in the field of materials engineering, according to customer requirements.
Head of Laboratory: Martin Juliš, Ph.D.